Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Sam Schoolcraft

SAMUEL MARTIN VAN BUREN SCHOOLCRAFT,
Jan. 7, 1910 -  Spring 1984
By Bonnie Roberts
     
    

Sam Schoolcraft was a hero in my life.  He on one hand was a poor country preacher and on the other hand a godly man of many talents and great creativity.  I first met him when we moved down on the river road in Buckeye, and he and his family lived about a half mile from me.  I became close friends with his daughter, Linda, and we remain friends to this day

Sam was born January 7, 1910 to Edward and Sarah Pickering Schoolcraft in Kanawha County.  He was one of thirteen children.  His father worked many jobs, but he also was a circuit-riding preacher who rode to various places to preach the gospel on a white horse.  When Sam was born his father looked at him and said, “This one will be my preacher.”  His prediction was true even though he did not live to see it.

                 Sam was a wonderful husband and father.  He married Ada Pearl Auldridge and together they had five children—Carlos, Phyllis, Janice, Linda, and Wanda.  He was multi-talented.  He sang, played the harmonica and guitar, and was artistic, painting pictures and working some with clay.

               Sam joined the Presbyterian Church in 1954.  He served as the Sunday School Superintendent there and led the music.  However, the Holy Spirit led him to start a church that was more in line with his core beliefs about baptism and etc.  With the help of local people, he built the church and started with 14 charter members.  He took correspondence courses to prepare him for his role as a minister.  He was licensed as a minister in 1955 and ordained in 1957 in the Advent Christian Conference.

                 When I met him, I was about ten years old and I came from a poor, troubled family.  We had no automobile, so Sam started picking up my brother and me for services at the little country church he had built.  He gave me responsibilities in the little church such as leading the singing sometimes and helping with church records.  He usually had a carload of kids each Sunday.

                 At this time, he was working as a sawyer in a local sawmill.  He didn’t make much money, but he was always willing to lend a helping hand to those in need.  Sometime after we began attending church, our family had to leave the little house on the river and we had no money nor any idea where to go.  My baby brother was only months old.  Sam bought a house for us to rent.  I am sure it was not easy for him but that was the kind of person he was.  He was kind to my family.

               When the Lord saved me when I was 12, Sam baptized me in a little cow pond one Sunday.  He was a father figure to me and I adored him.  He was very innovative for his time.  He wrote a play and used a movie camera to film the Christmas story.  I was Mary in the story and I had to ride an actual donkey.

               Sam had a burning desire to see people saved for the kingdom.  He was kind to all and he would often go to people who were living together and counsel with them.  He would then marry them if they were willing.  Some of my family would sometimes fondly refer to him as “Singing Sam, the Advent man.”

               Sam saw an opportunity to build a second church in town.  He held services there for some time before he sold it.  His family continues to hold services in the little country church he first built.  His son-in-law is the minister.  Sam passed away May 19, 1984 after suffering a massive heart attack.  He is one of the first people I want to see in heaven

No comments:

Post a Comment

We are making comments available again! You are free to express your First Amendment Rights Here!

About Me

A local archivist who specializes in all things Pocahontas County