Search This Blog

Thursday, June 4, 2015

Taxation Without Representation



Editor's Note:  A couple hundred years ago the Americans would have thrown a tea party over this issue.  They believed that they had a right to vote on any tax imposed upon them--even a tax on tea.  

Now it remains to be seen if the folks who DO NOT live in Marlinton are willing to be taxed without a vote for the mayor or even one council person.  

The proposed fire fee would allow a taxation of people who cannot vote because they are not residents of the town of Marlinton.  All they get to do is pay the tax.  Therefore it is an illegal tax.





 Excerpt from the Pocahontas Times.

5 comments:

  1. So how should these people pay for their fire service?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't live in Marlinton, but I DO live close enough that if there was a fire at my house, that is the fire department that would respond. I don't have a problem with paying a fire fee to help keep the fire department up and running. If I ever need them, I know those brave souls will be there to try to save my property, and possibly my life! Isn't the proposed fee $60 per year? That works out to $5 per month!! I will gladly...Gladly....pay that for their service!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When my house burned they sat and watched from the bottom of my driveway, unable to get up to my home. I refuse to pay for a service that they are unable to provide.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If the tax effects residents outside of the town then they need to be able to vote on it.
    Any other type of thinking on the issue is just wrong.
    The Road Runner...

    ReplyDelete
  5. How about people only get added to the 911 list when they pay their fee then fire and ems only gets called to those in the 911 listing. It would certainly cut down on those late night call outs.

    ReplyDelete

We are making comments available again! You are free to express your First Amendment Rights Here!

About Me

A local archivist who specializes in all things Pocahontas County